Are you looking for a way to improve the look of your smile, due to discoloration, worn enamel, chips, or even an alignment issue? Porcelain veneers may be your answer. Veneers are thin, tooth-colored shells that fit onto the surface of a tooth to change its shape and appearance.
Patients love veneers for a variety of reasons. Porcelain veneers can:
- Present an ideally aligned smile
- Improve the color of your teeth
- Hide chips and cracks
- Improve the shape of the teeth
- Provide protection and durability
The reasons for turning to porcelain veneers are unique as the patients themselves. At Westgrove Dental, our cosmetic dentistry experts treat patients who:
- Have worn down the enamel on their teeth – this can be due to natural causes, or habits such as smoking or drinking certain beverages that can damage the enamel, such as sodas and coffee
- Have chips or cracks due to the wear and tear their teeth take – our teeth are put through a lot over the course of a single day, so add that up over your lifetime and it’s no wonder that sometimes our teeth have some minor chipping or cracking
- Improve uneven looking teeth – our teeth may be uneven due to habits such as grinding or clenching, or just through general wear and tear.
- Improve the color – tooth discoloration can occur for a variety of reasons and may not be fully treatable using whitening options.
- Correct spacing issues – veneers can correct some spacing issues, providing a straighter, properly spaced smile
How do I know if I am a candidate for porcelain veneers?
The best way to determine if veneers are right for you is to schedule an appointment with one of our cosmetic dentists. Our Westgrove Dental cosmetic experts will evaluate your issue and discuss all available treatment options with you to help you determine which is ideal for your situation. If you decide veneers are the next step, our dentists will discuss the procedure with you so you are fully educated on what to expect.
What is the process to receive veneers?
The process to get porcelain veneers typically takes two visits over the course of a few weeks. They can be time consuming because the process is very meticulous. Once we have discussed color, shape and everything we need to create the ideal smile for you, we will administer a local anesthetic to ensure you are as comfortable as possible during the process. Then, we use a small, handheld device to shave a portion of the front of your tooth. This ensures an ideal fit for the veneer to allow it to blend in with your natural smile, without sticking out.
We then take an impression of your teeth from which your permanent veneers can be fabricated. This mold will be sent to the dental lab to create your custom porcelain veneers. We will provide you with temporary veneers until your final outcome is ready.
When your veneers are ready, we will remove the temporary veneers and place the permanent ones. We will evaluate their fit and make any adjustments necessary to ensure the proper fit and highest degree of comfort for you.
What do I need to know about veneers before the procedure?
The biggest thing to understand is that veneers are not a reversible procedure. Because we remove a portion of the enamel from your teeth, even though it is minimal, your teeth will require a covering to protect them going forward. Before undergoing a veneer procedure it is important to know that this is a permanent procedure.
It’s also important to know that while veneers are highly durable, they will not last forever. With proper care they should last many years. Maintaining your oral health is key to ensuring longevity for your veneers.
Patients should also understand that any chips or cracks to a veneer cannot be repaired, rather the entire veneer has to be replaced. It’s important to take care of your new smile to ensure it lasts as long as possible.
Veneers are an excellent solution for many patients – they can improve your smile and help you greet the world with confidence. Call our office today to see if veneers may be right for you.